Yesterday I let everyone know in this post that our foster daughter’s case was coming to a very important crossroads. If you didn’t get a chance to read it, you should. It will make what I’m about to tell you all the more surprising.
Pre-trial was set for today in the case of our foster daughter that has been in our home for almost one year. The motion being presented from the attorney of the biological mom was whether or not to extend the case by 6 months.
We arrived at court promptly at 9:30 this morning. After many other cases were run through, ours was finally called. This one wasn’t crystal clear as to which direction it would take. There were strong opinions on both sides. Steph and I stood, biting our tongue and praying that the Spirit would give the judge wisdom on what to do.
Our prayer was simple – wisdom from God. From there we decided it was in God’s hands, and we would watch what He would do. As we all know, we face circumstances in life that are far out of our control. This was one of them. So we were to wait and see.
We had gathered our kids last night to include them in this faith journey. We explained what was going on, but that God was in control and could be trusted. We prayed and went to bed.
Steph says her mind drifted to Isaiah last night where God says…
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength…” (Isaiah 30:15a)
The defense attorney went first. She shared how four different experts had signed off on an extension. She shared about the progress the mom had made. Steph and I stood silent, wanting to scream that nobody was thinking about the perspective of our foster daughter. But we didn’t.
The attorney was convincing. I could only help but think that this was more of a black and white decision than I thought. Our foster daughter’s attorney spoke next to present the other side of the case. When she was done, I knew where the case was headed. We were in for a 6 month extension. With that, our little girl’s face was all I could picture, and how tough this would be for her.
But then the judge stopped and said, “Wait a second….”
Life isn’t always full of days where you can see a visible picture of Spirit-given wisdom provided to people. But today I got to see it.
After a lengthy explanation of her reasoning, the judged declared her decision rather unceremoniously:
“I am denying an extension to this case. We can’t be so sure that the mom will get her act together in the next 6 months. It is my job to protect these little ones.”
And with that, my jaw hit the floor.
We are absolutely elated to know this case won’t drag on. It has been so hard on our foster daughter. We want closure for her.
Trial is set for next Tuesday, and that will determine the long-term placement of this little girl.
Thank you for praying, for all your comments here, for your Facebook messages, tweets and texts. I am glad to know this judge was covered in prayer during difficult decisions like this one.